Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Repost: Neurotic first time mom says 'hi'

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.

Enjoy.



Oct. 20, 2010

Hi. I’m Anika, and I’m delighted to join the Moms at Work cabal.

During my workdays, I’m a full-time breaking-news reporter. Whenever I’m not on the clock for the Sentinel, I’m doing the equally full-time job called “mom and wife,” spending time with my husband of eight years and our 1-year-old daughter.

She’s walking, learning to talk and developing at what seems like lightning speed. It’s completely exhilarating (and a little frightening!). She's turned my life upside down, even to the point of affecting how I look at my work. Since I cover a lot of crime, I occasionally write stories about child abuse or other terrible things happening to kids. Before I became a mother, I'd report and write those stories and think, "That's horrible," and go on with my day. Now my response is, as you can probably imagine, more visceral.

Since I’m an only child who had little experience with children until the day I had my own, I confess that I am constantly unsure -- and something of a worrywart -- about doing this whole motherhood thing properly. Luckily, my husband has both more common sense and patience than I do and usually can help me to recognize when I’m overthinking matters related to our daughter.

Basically, my parenting style veers wildly between neurotic overprotectiveness and, well, winging it.

But I’m still new at this, so I’m sure you’ll have a lot to teach me. I hope I won’t bore you to death in return.

So let’s get started, shall we? I’ll see you in this same spot at the same time next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment