Monday, May 20, 2013

Repost: Classic books to read to young children

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.


Aug. 31, 2011

What books do you read to and with your young children?

In our household, kiddo is particularly happy when we read her any book about her best buddy Elmo as well as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, so I was pleased to see the latter on a list of top classic books for parents to read to kids.

Here are the Top 15, as reported by What To Do With The Kids:

1. Goodnight, Moon, Margaret Wise Brown
2. Stone Soup, Marcia Brown
3. The Giving Tree, Shel Silverstein
4. The Velveteen Rabbit, Margery Williams
5. Where the Wild Things Are, Maurice Sendak
6. Curious George, Hans Augusto Rey
7. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle
8. Charlotte's Web, Elwyn Brooks White
9. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Bill Martin Jr. and John Archabault
10. Green Eggs and Ham, Dr. Seuss
11. Harold and the Purple Crayon, Crockett Johnson
12. Guess How Much I love You, Sam McBratney
13. Love You Forever, Robery Munsch
14. Go Dog Go, P.D. Eastman
15. Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, Virginia Lee Burton

We've definitely read a couple of these. I've read Goodnight, Moon and The Very Hungry Caterpillar enough times that I can recite them from memory. Although we haven't yet bought Green Eggs and Ham, we have read In A People House several times. My daughter is a touch too young for a few of the others, but I'll definitely keep them in mind (except Curious George, because monkeys give me the creeps).

Did you read these books to your kids? What books have been favorites in your household?

No comments:

Post a Comment