Thursday, May 23, 2013

Repost: How old is too old to become parent to a newborn?

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.


Sept. 28, 2011

Years ago, I came home one afternoon from school -- I think I was in second grade -- and announced to my mother that of all the parents of students in my classroom, she and my father were among the oldest.

My folks had me when they were in their early 30s.

What a difference a few decades make. I had my daughter when I was older than my parents had been when I was born, and my husband and I are certainly not the oldest parents of a child in her day-care class. And although men have always been able to sire children at advanced ages, these days determined women of means in late middle age are finding ways to become mothers.

For some older moms, motherhood has come via adoption, but for others, it has come via advanced medical techniques such as IVF and donor eggs.

That's meant that women have been able to take home newborns in their late 40s and early 50s. As you can imagine, that's controversial in some quarters.

Not with me, though. I figure that as long as parents can support and care for their children adequately, all's well.

What do you think? Is there anything wrong with being over 50 and becoming a parent to an infant?

No comments:

Post a Comment