Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Repost: Catching a cold from daycare? Yep.

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.

Enjoy.



Jan. 19, 2011

In just less than three weeks at daycare, my daughter's already caught her first cold.

I knew it was going to happen and even that it would come sooner rather than later. On the first day that my husband and I dropped her off, there was a breathtakingly adorable cherub popping around my daughter's classroom with a bright smile -- and a runny nose. Did I mention that runny noses are my personal Kid Kryptonite? I'd rather deal with the foulest diaper than even the most mild runny nose.

This past weekend, the kid was more clingy than usual. Then the sneezing, runny nose and cough arrived. It's so early in the year that I spent most of the weekend sending up silent prayers that she'd feel better so I wouldn't have to burn sick days quite so soon. Nursemaids Mommy and Daddy kept track of her temperature and dosed her with fluids, the occasional taste of infant/toddler Tylenol and many, many hugs.

By Monday morning, my prayers had been answered: she was feeling better and back to normal (which for her, means she's a vector for entropy) . All's well, yes? You'd think so, but you'd be wrong. My throat started hurting about midday. On Tuesday, I felt so bad that I had to leave work early. Even now, I'm pretty sure my bloodstream is at least a third Dayquil.

I can't win.

No comments:

Post a Comment