Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Repost: Delicious things to make with summer corn

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.


May 25, 2011

You may have noticed that there's a bunch of reasonably priced summer corn in the grocery stores lately -- or if you're especially lucky, you've got some growing close to home. It's so decently priced that I've bought a little bit each time I've been shopping lately, which has left me looking for clever things to do with it.

I was bored with corn on the cob, plain old boiled corn and corn chowder, so I was delighted to stumble on a lovely corn salad recipe. The recipe looked as though it would be delicious as is, but I substituted items I had on hand, for a modified version that came out like so:

Ingredients

5 ears of corn, (shucked, boiled and with kernels removed)

1 red pepper, roasted

3/4 cup of chopped red onion

1/2 cup of chopped mint

1 small zucchini, diced

1/4 cup feta cheese

balsamic vinegar

oil

chili pepper, to taste

salt, to taste

Instructions

Remove the seeds and stem before dicing the red pepper. Then add the red pepper to the corn, and add zucchini, cheese and onion. Add a little salt and chili pepper to taste. In a small bowl, mix  the amount of balsamic vinegar and oil you'd like as dressing. Pour the amount of dressing you'd like, and then add as much of the mint as you'd like just before serving.

It can be eaten warm or cold (we preferred the latter). Enjoy!

My family liked this one. I haven't been brave enough to spring another recipe I found on them yet, though: corn ice cream.

That might just be a step too far, even for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment