Friday, April 5, 2013

Repost: Sometimes it's worth it to take a moment to enjoy it all

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.

Enjoy.



Jan. 26, 2011

Yesterday afternoon, as a dangerous line of storms made its way toward Central Florida, my husband and I scurried to complete our normal daily chores earlier than usual, just in case there was a power outage.

Usually, our daughter is in bed by 7 p.m. or so -- 7:30 at the latest -- leaving us time to complete the chores in the hours after she's placed in her crib. Last night, though, we made lunches, laid out today's clothes, got the house in something like order and got ready for bed in record time, by 6 p.m.

By her normal bedtime, the storm was bearing down on the region, so naturally, she was a little nervous at the sounds of the thunder and heavy rain on the roof of our 80-year-old home. She resisted going to bed easily.

So you know what? We didn't make her. I'm glad we didn't. Instead, we all piled into our bed for some extra fun. She amused us by playing clapping games with us, using her growing vocabulary and pointing on our command to various parts of her face (she's no longer confused by 'ears'!). Sure, she went to bed close to 9 p.m., but I'm delighted that we got to spend that time with her, especially in such a relaxed way and -- this is crucial -- with nothing else on our minds or schedules.

Just after he put her to bed, I turned to my husband and said, "We are so lucky."

"Yep," he said.

We really, really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment