Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Repost: Making lunch for school is more pressure than I can handle

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.

Enjoy.



Jan. 12, 2011

My daughter's switch from a one-on-one caregiver situation to daycare has come with a wrinkle I sorely underestimated: I have to make nutritious, healthy lunches daily.

The daycare points parents who want a hot-lunch service to a third-party provider, but since I think $4-$5 a day is a little steep, I won't be going that route.

I think a lot about what works and what doesn't work. So far, in the week and change she's been in "school," my lunches have been hit-and-miss. Buttered corn was a big success. She inhaled the leftover macaroni-and-cheese with spinach in it,  but the spaghetti with toddler-friendly fusilli pasta came home untouched.

One day, she ate all the orange slices I sent as a snack, but today, they came home largely uneaten. Beans and rice were a hit at the dinner table, but not so beloved when she was at school.

Tomorrow, we'll try some pieces of grilled chicken, more corn and a couple of tiny slices of cheddar cheese (yes, the theme here is that I basically give her leftovers from the previous night's dinner). If those don't work, I'm not sure what I'll do. PB&J everyday? Heaven forfend this, but Bento box mania?

Have you had trouble making lunch for your child? What did you find worked for you as regular lunches?

No comments:

Post a Comment