Sunday, June 30, 2013

Repost: Dreaming of being an Olympics parent

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.


Aug. 1, 2012

Although I don't generally watch much TV, like many people, I'm glued to my set these days so I can catch the Olympics. The stories and accomplishments of the athletes are absolutely fascinating. When I was younger, I used to tell myself that I still had time to get good enough at a sport to make it to the Olympics. Sadly, that ship has sailed.

These days, I'm eyeing my daughter to figure out whether there's any possibility that she'll make my athletic dreams come true.

My husband and I, mindful of her long legs and love of tumbling, have already enrolled her in gymnastics, but we're a bit wary of allowing her to continue with it long term (we worry about whether the sport will be dangerous to her development). So that's out.

I'm a former soccer player, so I certainly wouldn't mind if she took that up, but I'd prefer for her to be in a one-person sport. To that end, I'd love to see her in a graceful, dramatic activity such as fencing. My husband, however, counting on her to inherit height from his tall family instead of from my family of hobbit-sized folk, thinks she could be a champion swimmer.

We'll see. At some point, of course, we have to let her decide what activity interests her most. And then we have to support her, even if she chooses a sport that we don't like.

But for now, it's fun to dream and speculate.

Do you fantasize about being the parent of an Olympian?

No comments:

Post a Comment