Thursday, June 6, 2013

Repost: Shopping for girls is no fun if you're trying to avoid pink

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.


Dec. 21, 2011

I've just about had it with pink.

If you've done any shopping for any young girls this holiday season, you've noticed that the color pink has vomited all over the girls' aisles in various stores.

Although we generally have very low-key holiday celebrations in our household (our annual Christmas dinner at our favorite restaurant is much more important to us than the handful of presents under the tree), I did shop around for a couple of small items for my daughter.

I hate to shop, but I got over myself for a few minutes earlier this week and popped into a store with the hope of finding a nice squeezable dolly and a couple of outfits to add to her collection. Within seconds of entering the girls section, I nearly overdosed on pink.

I know, I know: this isn't new. Still, it was enough to make me actually walk out of the store that time. Believe it or not, I generally liked pink as a color until I became the mother of a girl. Now I feel as though I'm being force-fed something I once enjoyed.

The saturation of pink is so extreme that when I buy dark-colored, non-gender-specific clothes or toys, I have been known to second- and third-guess myself about whether I'm doing something wrong and will cause her some sort of irreparable psychological damage.

Luckily, I usually snap out of it. Usually.

Is there anything that annoys you about items targeted toward your child's gender or age group?

No comments:

Post a Comment