Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Repost: Give me serenity to accept that my kid is a picky eater

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.


June 13, 2012

Until now, I've been able to deal with my daughter's recent forays into the land of picky eating with equanimity, but I'm now throwing my hands up.

A few days ago, I got the bright idea to make a one-pot meal for my family, and decided to go with something I've made before that we enjoy, an adapted chicken paella recipe..

What could possibly go wrong, right? The paella combines several foods we love in one dish.

Of course something would go wrong -- and of course that would involve my kid.

Kiddo, almost 3, has suddenly decided that she no longer likes rice. Rice is, as she told my husband, "Ewwww."

What? Who doesn't like rice?

I know that kids often try to figure out social boundaries by rejecting things or ideas offered by their parents. I know this. I know it and yet I was still upset.

Here's why: Rice is a staple in our household. My rice cooker is one of my favorite appliances.

I love rice. I could eat it for three meals a day. So does my husband. In fact, when he did some genealogical research last year, he traced his heritage to the Gullah people who have lived off the coasts of Georgia and South Carolina since the 18th century. What food item is commonly associated with the Gullah? You guessed it.

We probably eat rice (brown, black, yellow or white) four evenings each week. Even when our picky princess declines to eat anything else I've cooked, we usually don't worry about her food intake, because we can count on her to down her rice with gusto. But her new disgust, it seems, is firm. Each time we've since tried to feed it to her, she declared it "ewww" and "gross."

I guess it's back to the drawing board to find foods my picky eater will enjoy.

Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment