Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Repost: Suddenly, my kid has a lot to say

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.


Jan. 18, 2012

About two years ago, not long after my daughter was born, I told my husband that I couldn't wait until she could talk, so she'd be able to tell us everything she wanted or needed.

Now I'm wondering whether I should have been more specific about my hopes for her verbal abilities.

Now that she's talking (in full sentences, even!) she does almost nothing but tell us what she wants. In theory, I should've known she'd be a talker since my husband and I are chatty people. We're incredibly grateful that she's progressing so well and we get a kick out of having actual conversations with her. We really had no idea it would be like this, though.

One morning last week, she talked nonstop from the moment I woke her up until I dropped her off at school. She lectured our dog about where he could sit down, discussed how much she liked Cheerios, told me I looked nice and talked about shoes, ducks, chickens, bears, cats, trains and trucks. It was exhausting. She did the same that afternoon, chatting nonstop from the time her daddy picked her up from school. She even continued talking to herself for a few minutes until she fell asleep after we turned out the light in her room that night. My husband and I sat in complete stunned silence for several minutes after that just so we could regain our bearings.

I have been reliably informed that she is not actually the chattiest toddler ever to walk the face of the earth, but she must be in the top five.

No comments:

Post a Comment